IOWA CS PD WEEK 2023: JUNE 12 - 16 at UNI
Plan to attend Iowa's first Computer Science PD Week June 12 - 16 at the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls! There is something for everyone: elementary, MS, and HS teachers, counselors, and administrators! All of the courses this year will be face-to-face and offered in partnership with the Iowa Department of Education, CSTA Iowa, and the Iowa AEA's. There will be a keynote kickoff event in the evening on Sunday, June 11. Register to join us at our next SCRIPT reconnect (see below) to learn more about CS week and make a plan to share out with your school.
SCRIPT Reconnect zoom meeting
Tues. Mar. 7, 3:00 - 4:00
Join us for our next SCRIPT reconnect. We will provide more information about the opportunities for Iowa's first Computer Science PD week sponsored by the Iowa Department of Education, CSTA Iowa, and the Iowa AEA's. The last part of the meeting will allow for SCRIPT team time to discuss goal-setting, how to get the message out about the CS PD week opportunities, etc. Register below for the zoom link.
Upcoming Keystone Workshops:
Physical Computing with Robotics in K-5
Mar. 28, 9:00 - 3:00, Elkader
This one-day workshop will explore physical computing devices that allow students to engage in learning the K-2 (1A) & 3-5 (1B) CSTA standards. This course will focus on hands-on learning with robotics that are appropriate for the elementary classroom. Participants will engage in learning about computing pedagogy and how to teach CSTA standards through the use of physical computing devices. Do you have a particular request for us to explore that day? If so, complete this Google form to let us know!
Educators can choose to enroll for 1 licensure renewal credit with additional coursework and a fee of $35, or as a participant only for free. The deadline to register is Mar. 14.
Other Professional Learning Opportunities
Drake University CS endorsement
Drake will begin a cohort of educators interested in obtaining a computer science endorsement either the K-8 or 5-12 level. Courses will be online and synchronous beginning in June of 2023 and completed by July 2024. Check out Drake's CS cohort and consider applying for the CS Endorsement grant from the Iowa Department of Education to help cover expenses (see grants below).
Register for CSTA 2023 Virtual conference at the Early Bird Rate
Connect with the world’s largest computer science department at the CSTA 2023 Virtual Conference, set for July 11-13, 2023. We’re returning to Hopin this year to provide more teachers with access to the CSTA conference experience—regardless of where they are.
CSTA's Annual Conference is a chance for computer science teachers to come together to find strength in their local community through networking events, engage with PD they actually want to attend, and identify ways to impact students and teachers outside your classroom.
The three-day virtual conference has over 150 sessions of education to broaden your knowledge of computer science education, inspirational keynotes and sessions to reinvigorate your passion for teaching, and countless moments of fun and connection along the way. If you are looking for new and exciting ways to engage with your students in your classroom, you don't want to miss out on this great experience.
- Full access to all programming Tuesday, July 11 - Thursday, July 13
- Access to all general session and breakout session recordings
- Access to all session resources and slide decks
- Access to the virtual Exhibit Hall
- Other fun extras throughout the event
Computer Science Grant Opportunities
Iowa Department of Education grant opportunities available:
- Computer Science Professional Development Incentive Fund (CSPDIF) - application deadline has passed. Stay tuned on this opportunity next fall.
- Computer Science Incentive Fund - Endorsement Fund. The grant application is open until May 31, 2023. This application is for Computer Science and 5-12 CTE Information Technology endorsements ONLY. Reimbursement funding may cover tuition (up to maximum of $705/credit), textbooks (up to $300), and associated fees. Mileage, stipends, and/or sub fees are NOT permitted. Reimbursement funds go to the district, not the teacher(s). All tuition expenses must be paid prior to June 30, 2023.
- Computer Science SCRIPT workshop and ongoing support: Districts/schools may use funding not only for their initial SCRIPT workshop but also for additional SCRIPT support from their local AEA. Applicants will be awarded funding on a rolling basis until funding runs out. Stipends are only allowed for off-contract work. Maximum sub pay amount is $150/day, based on the school’s regular rate. Maximum stipend amount is $20/hour or $160/day, based on the school’s regular rate. Administrator stipends will be covered as permitted by their contract.
- Curriculum & Professional Development Grant: This grant is for specific curriculum and professional development outlined on the website. Grants will be awarded on a rolling basis until funds have been exhausted.
More information can be found on the Dept. of Education's Computer Science grant site, the grant overview document, and on Iowagrants.gov.
RESOURCES FOR TEACHERS
Looking for curriculum options? These resource documents were recently released from the Iowa AEA Computer Science consultants. They provide a curated list of options for various grade levels.
K-2 Computer Science Curriculum Resource List
3-5 Computer Science Curriculum Resource List
Middle School Computer Science Curriculum Resource List
High School Computer Science Courses
Computer Science Clubs/Competitions
Connect with Other Computer Science Teachers
Facebook Group: Iowa Computer Science Teachers
Learn about the Standards
Iowa's voluntary computer science standards are the CSTA K-12 Standards, developed by the Computer Science Teachers Association. These standards are arranged in grade bands, with expectations at the K-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-10, and 11-12 level.
Keystone AEA Contacts: