Updates on ELPA 21, including billing dates and technology support information.
English Language Learners
NOTE: If you have not watched the Conditional Exit/TELPA ordering webinar, please do so (15 minutes).
(The following information is also available on the Iowa Department of Education website)
The TELPA is the current required screener used as a placement measure. Iowa will continue using the TELPA in the 2015-16 and 2016-17 school years, but will replace it with an ELPA21 Screener beginning in 2017-18.
Ordering the TELPA
Beginning July 1, 2016 any districts wishing to order the TELPA screener should place the order directly with Measurement Incorporated (MI) instead of going through IA Testing Programs.
TELPA can only be ordered online. It is sold in packs of 10 and includes all the support materials needed.
If you would like to place an order or have any other questions, please contact the TELPA Helpline at 888-612-0180 or email@example.com. MI will provide you with the credentials for your district as well as directions on how to place an order on the TELPA website.
The TELPA Training Modules are located in the statewide Moodle system. Use the following instructions to access the Moodle:
- Begin on the AEA PD Online homepage at http://www.aeapdonline.org/
- Choose "Training System" under Quick Links.
- Log in to your account.
- Click on the catalog.
- Search TELPA.
- The training is called "TELPA Administration Certification 2016-17".
If you have taken any online courses for license renewal or graduate credit after June 2013, you may already have a file in this system. Use the username/password that you created to log into Moodle. If you do not have an account, use the following instructions:
To register in the system (First time user, not registered in the new system):
- Click on create an account here link located in the second paragraph under the new Moodle theme overview video.
- Choose a username.
- Choose a password. Retain the username/password information for future use.
- Enter an email address and confirm the email address.
- Enter first and last name.
- Enter city/town.
- Enter country.
- Enter the CAPTCHA from both boxes.
- Click the Create my new account button.
You will receive a confirmation email to the address that was provided. If you do not receive the email, check your junk/spam mail. If you still do not find the confirmation email, contact Shelley Christensen at firstname.lastname@example.org, she will manually confirm your account.
- Download the correct bubble answer sheet (BAS).
- Score the screeners locally
- Complete the Score Reporting Template to enter student information and TELPA scores. Save each file with a standard name (e.g. Ames_072716 (District name_Date)).
- To submit the scores to the Department of Education email email@example.com requesting access to the secure email site. The request MUST come from the email associated with your Ed Portal A&A account.
- You will receive an email with the subject line, "You have received a secure email from the State of Iowa." The link will have MaLinda name as the sender.
- Follow directions in the response to the email to log into the State of Iowa Secure email (https://securemail.iowa.gov/). Your name will be your email associated with your EdPortal A&A account (not your Account ID), your password is your A&A account password. Not sure of your A&A email, login to the portal (https://portal.ed.iowa.gov), click on ‘My Profile’ in the upper right-hand corner and review your email in the center of the screen. If you receive an error, when logging in please contact the EdPortal helpdesk at 515.725.2040 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After logging in to Secure Email, click on ‘Compose Mail’ in the upper left corner. Enter Ed.email@example.com in the ‘To’ field, in the Subject field enter your district name and the word TELPA (e. g. Ames TELPA).
- Click on ‘Attach’ and ‘choose file’ to select the file created in step three. Click on Upload.
- Click on ‘Send’ to send your email.
Beginning in the 2015-16 school year, the state of Iowa will be transitioning to the ELPA21 assessment.
All identified district/building technology and test coordinators should be receiving information directly from the Iowa Department of Education. Information includes mandatory trainings, technology specifications, etc. to aid schools in transitioning to this assessment.
- ELPA21 Score Reporting Interpretation Guide
- ELPA21 Sample EL Parent Letter
- ELPA21 EL Parent Letter Translations (Parent Letters are also available in the ELL Community on AEA PD Online.)
Frequently Asked Questions:
When is the testing window for ELPA21?
The testing window begins February 15 and ends April 15.
How long will these assessments take?
To find appropriate time allotments for different grade levels, click here.
Are there practice tests available for students?
Practice tests are available within the Iowa ELPA21 Portal. It is recommended that students take the practice tests to familiarize themselves with the online testing format. It is also recommended that practice tests are given no earlier than 1-2 weeks before your district's specific testing date(s).
Are there trainings available? Who has to participate in these trainings?
Technology and test coordinators, along with test administrators, must participate in the appropriate trainings for their roles. Trainings are available through AEA PD Online. To access these trainings:
- Go to aeapdonline.org.
- Under the "Quick Links" tab, choose "Training System".
- Log in to your AEA PD Online account.
- In the catalog, either search "ELPA21" or choose "Hosted Trainings."
- Trainings for Test Administrators and Technology Coordinators will be there.
I need access to the Iowa ELPA21 Portal. How do I get that?
Test coordinators and test administrators need access to the Iowa ELPA21 Portal. If you do not already have an A&A account, you will need to sign up for one. From there, you will request access to the ELPA21 Portal. For instructions on how to set up the A&A account and request access, click here.
Iowa Department of Education ELPA21 webpage:
Iowa ELPA21 Portal (Do request portal access through an A&A account. This link will help you see the portal layout.):
Who do I contact if I need help?
For portal assistance, contact Jean Alfred:
For ELPA21 Test Assistance, contact the Iowa ELPA21 Help Desk: